[JAVA] Try DbUnit


It is a continuation of Trying from project creation by Maven to JUnit test in Eclipse. Let's move DbUnit and so on.

DbUnit Official: http://dbunit.sourceforge.net/

Modify Maven config file

--Added dependent library to pom.xml



--Reference - https://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails|org.dbunit|dbunit|2.5.4|jar - https://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails|mysql|mysql-connector-java|5.1.46|jar

Creating a database


drop database if exists maven_sample;
create database if not exists maven_sample;
connect maven_sample;
drop table if exists fruits;
create table fruits(
id integer primary key,
name varchar(20),
price integer
insert into fruits(id, name, price) values (1, 'apple', 120);
insert into fruits(id, name, price) values (2, 'banana', 100);
insert into fruits(id, name, price) values (3, 'orange', 150);

Creating sample code


package com.example;

import java.util.List;

import com.example.dao.FruitsDao;
import com.example.dto.FruitsDto;

public class FruitsMain {
	public static void main(String[] args) {
		for (FruitsDto fruitsDto: getFruits()) {

	public static List<FruitsDto> getFruits () {
		FruitsDao fruitsDao = new FruitsDao();
		List<FruitsDto> fruits = fruitsDao.findAll();
		return fruits;


package com.example.dao;

import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.DriverManager;
import java.sql.ResultSet;
import java.sql.SQLException;
import java.sql.Statement;
import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

import com.example.dto.FruitsDto;

public class FruitsDao {

	private static final String DB_URL = "jdbc:mysql://localhost/maven_sample?useSSL=false";
	private static final String DB_USER = "root";
	private static final String DB_PASSWORD = "admin";

	public List<FruitsDto> findAll() {
			Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection(DB_URL, DB_USER, DB_PASSWORD);
			Statement st = con.createStatement()
		) {
			ResultSet rs = st.executeQuery("select * from fruits");
			List<FruitsDto> fruitsList = new ArrayList<>();
				FruitsDto fruitsDto = new FruitsDto();
			return fruitsList;
		} catch (SQLException e) {
			throw new RuntimeException(e);



package com.example.dto;

public class FruitsDto {

	private int id;
	private String name;
	private int price;

	public int getId() {
		return id;
	public void setId(int id) {
		this.id = id;
	public String getName() {
		return name;
	public void setName(String name) {
		this.name = name;
	public int getPrice() {
		return price;
	public void setPrice(int price) {
		this.price = price;

Change Java version (if needed)

In my case, the Java runtime environment (JRE) and Java compiler (JDK) version was 1.5, so some methods could not be used, so I fixed it.

--JDK fix (Java compiler)

Configure project-specific settings
Select the target project (maven_sample)
Compiler compliance level 1.Fixed to 8

--JRE modification (Java execution environment)

Select the target project (maven_sample)
Build path
Build path configuration
JRE system library
Execution environment 1.Fixed to 8

--Reference - https://www.intra-mart.jp/document/library/ebuilder/public/e_builder_setup_guide/texts/jre/index.html

--Specify the Java version of Maven compilation --Modified pom.xml



Create test code with DbUnit


package com.example.dao;

import static org.hamcrest.CoreMatchers.*;
import static org.junit.Assert.*;

import java.io.FileInputStream;
import java.util.List;

import org.dbunit.DBTestCase;
import org.dbunit.PropertiesBasedJdbcDatabaseTester;
import org.dbunit.dataset.IDataSet;
import org.dbunit.dataset.xml.FlatXmlDataSetBuilder;
import org.junit.Test;

import com.example.dto.FruitsDto;

public class FruitsDaoTest extends DBTestCase {

	public FruitsDaoTest(String name) {
		System.setProperty(PropertiesBasedJdbcDatabaseTester.DBUNIT_DRIVER_CLASS, "com.mysql.jdbc.Driver");
		System.setProperty(PropertiesBasedJdbcDatabaseTester.DBUNIT_CONNECTION_URL, "jdbc:mysql://localhost/maven_sample?useSSL=false");
		System.setProperty(PropertiesBasedJdbcDatabaseTester.DBUNIT_USERNAME, "root");
		System.setProperty(PropertiesBasedJdbcDatabaseTester.DBUNIT_PASSWORD, "admin");

	protected IDataSet getDataSet() throws Exception {
		return new FlatXmlDataSetBuilder().build(new FileInputStream("dataset.xml"));

	public void test_findAll() throws Exception{
		int expectedRowCount = 3;
		FruitsDao sut = new FruitsDao();
		List<FruitsDto> actual = sut.findAll();
		assertThat(actual.size(), is(expectedRowCount));


--Create dataset.xml directly under the project root


	<fruits id="1" name="apple" price="100"/>
	<fruits id="2" name="banana" price="200"/>
	<fruits id="3" name="cherry" price="300"/>

in conclusion

I managed to use DbUnit. was difficult. .. .. I'm glad if you can use it as a reference. Next, I'll try Mockito. → Try Mockito

Recommended Posts

Try DbUnit
Try HiveRunner
Try Mockito
try docker-compose
Try Lombok
Try App Clips
Try using libGDX
Try using Maven
Try using powermock-mockito2-2.0.2
Try using GraalVM
Try using jmockit 1.48
Try using sql-migrate
Try using SwiftLint
Try using Log4j 2.0
Try Ruby Minitest
Roughly try Java 9