Java SE, Java EE, Java ME are platform types
Java SE, Java EE, and Java ME are Java platform types. A platform is a creation kit for creating Java programs. The platform includes APIs, and SE, EE, and ME have different API types.
SDK, JDK, JRE, JVM are software used for Java development and execution
SDK, JDK, JRE and JVM are names of software used for Java development and execution. Each has a relationship as shown in the figure
JDK and SDK are kits for developing programs
First, a development kit that includes all the items necessary to develop a program is called SDK (Software Development Kit). Since the above-mentioned platform is a creation kit, you can only create programs, but SDK can use convenient functions when creating programs, and you can execute and debug the created programs. Among them, a development kit for developing a Java program is called a JDK (Java Development Kit). In other words, the JDK is a Java SDK.
JRE is software for executing Java programs
Software for executing Java programs is included in the JDK, and the software is called JRE (Java Runtime Environment).
JVM is a virtual machine to handle different OS
The JRE contains a virtual machine that allows Java programs to run on any OS. The virtual machine is called JVM (Java virtual machine).
- A kit that creates Java programs is called a platform
- Java SE, Java EE, and Java ME are Java platform types, and the included APIs are different.
- Program development kit is called SDK
- Java SDK is JDK
- JRE is software for running Java programs and is included in the JDK
- JVM is a virtual machine included in the JRE to allow Java programs to run on any OS